Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

I'm sure you all have seen the heartbreaking pictures of the earthquake that rocked Haiti earlier this week. Can you imagine if you lived there in your current situation? Where would you find diapers or food for your babies? If you're pregnant, can you imagine giving birth in the rubble on the side of the street because the hospitals have collapsed? Can you imagine searching for your husband or babies among the broken buildings?

I had two students in my American History course this summer/fall who live and go to school in Port au Prince. I emailed them, knowing it could be weeks before they even receive it, but I am praying they are safe.

The quake is causing me to re-evaluate (something I often do after these natural disasters) what is important...what is really a trial? Is getting out of bed 10 times during the night that big of a deal? At least my feet are hitting plush carpet and there's a roof over my head. Is being able to purchase organic and natural food or having variety on my weekly menu essential? At least I have a grocery store within 2 miles of my house with more choices of products than many people will ever see in their lifetime. Part of me knows that I need to just go on with my life, but at the same time I think to myself, "How can we all sit here and continue to post our facebook statuses about what the Browns are doing or having a few drinks after work or missing out on this "great" thing or having that "bad" thing happen" without laughing about how unbelievably trivial it all is?

I want to donate, but the practical, material, "American" side of me is saying we don't have the money right now. We just had to get Mark a new(er) car, haven't sold his yet, need to get our water line fixed, should be purchasing wood to build the second set of bunk beds and mattresses, oh, and, we want to recarpet that bedroom, too.

So, I'm asking myself, is it that big of a deal if we eat sloppy joe's and mac 'n' cheese or spaghetti for week, so someone else can have clean water? Can I deal with ugly teal green carpet for another year, so someone else might find bed to sleep in?

I've looked at several organizations and who/what efforts the donations they receive are supporting. Not that there aren't others who aren't helping immediately and directly, but I've chosen Food for the Hungry. If you haven't donated yet and want to, I posted a banner for their donation page on the right.

No comments: