Sunday, April 3, 2011

Happy Birthday, Levi!

Our baby boy turns three today. Yes, three years ago today, I called the school to tell Mark he better not leave for his away track meet, and I drove myself {plus the 5,4,and 1 year old} the 25 mintues to my OB-GYN {and soon after, the hospital} appointment while 6-7cm dilated and contracting. Feels like it could have been just last week.
I was kind of hoping this day would have taken much longer to get here. I'm just not ready to say good-bye to the baby days...there are many days where I still wish God had it in the cards for us to have a couple more, but since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm so thankful that Levi is the munchkin that he gave us to be our "baby". He's such a perfect mix of mischief and sweetness. There are moments where he forces me to ask myself, "Really...you think you could handle another one of these?" and moments where I say to myself, "How could I expect God to give me a better last born than this?" {I mean, I know He can do anything, but this is my expression of contentment at what He has given me...if that makes sense.}
We've loved watching Levi find his voice this year. He hardly talked at all a year ago...to the point that pediatrician suggested having his hearing tested. I knew he was just waiting. We all talked for him so much, I think, that he just didn't feel like he had to. Now, any conversation with him is so animated and enthusiastic.  I just love the way he draws out certain words and his eyebrows...oh his eyebrows...I'm in love with the way he uses them to make his point. He's always the first to make sure you're okay if you pinch a finger or step on a toy. He hardly ever sits still, often challenging the laws of physics, but when he does rest, he gives the best snuggles.
As much as I'll miss having a baby in the house, Lord, I'm so ready to see what you have planned for this amazing little boy. I pray that You continue to protect him physically and grow his compassionate little heart.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birthday wishes to Levi. Thank you for our darling sugarplums. How blessed we are indeed. Lots of love to all of you...hope to see you soon! Grammy and Papa.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! Makes me tear up thinking Hallie is next. I remember you going to the hospital WISHING that was me :) Happy birthday to your little guy! From the Gingerbreads :)