Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Big Switch

We made the big switch last week. From cribs to bunk beds. From a big kid and a baby room to a boys' room and a girls' room.
It was almost kind of spontaneous. Mark was done staining and oiling the second set of beds, but we weren't quite sure when we were going to have time to take the cribs down and get the beds put together. I think, for me, that was the way to go. We had just picked gobs of peaches and blueberries that morning, so I was busy in the kitchen and Mark got busy making the change upstairs. I didn't have a chance to get too emotional about it. Before I knew it, it was done, and the kids were super excited. I didn't even have time to shed a tear {until later that night when I saw my sweet, tiny little boy asleep in that big huge bed and realized in the blink of an eye he is going to stretch from headboard to footboard}.
I was glad they were ALL excited, too. There was a time when Ethan {hater of change} said he wanted to share a bedroom with Karis forever. In the last several months though, he has become more "big boyish" and realized sharing a room with his little sister isn't quite that cool. I wasn't sure how Levi would respond either. He was a bit upset to see his crib go, but once we put the sports balls sheets on his bed, there was no turning back for him. I also figured he'd spend the first week or so climbing out of it 150 times before falling asleep. Thankfully, since the boy rarely naps anymore, he was beat by bedtime and didn't give us any trouble at all.

I love that with "big" beds I can climb in with each kid for prayers, cuddles, and kisses at bedtime. I hate that with two sets of bunk beds I want to chop my arms off every time I have to change sheets. There are some final touches to be done to both rooms. I need to paint over the handprint border in the boys' room and hopefully find them some curtains. I'd also like to paint some flowers and a verse on the wall in the girls' room. Two projects that will probably have to wait for some colder weather.

No comments: