Monday, March 8, 2010

Learning to Enjoy

I loved this email devotional from MOPS International today and wanted to share it. I don't know too many moms who don't struggle with this! I've been asking God for help on this one for a while now....and slowly, but surely, I feel like He's helping me get somewhere!
Come Enjoy Us
By Jeanne Rohrs
The other night my boys and I were sitting down to dinner as my husband entered the room. My three-year-old looked up and said, “Daddy, come enjoy us!”

I love puns, but this one stood out to me because it revealed the heart of my child.

I often miss out on enjoying my children as I herd them from one errand to another. Most of the time I join them but don’t enjoy them. Why aren’t those words synonyms for me as a mom?

Maybe it’s because no matter what I get done, there’s always more to do; more that I think I should have done; more that I think I should be. And there’s guilt over all that I have yet to do. That’s how it happens – my kids become roadblocks.

But when I stop keeping-up-with-the-Joneses and trying to be like June Cleaver, and I really look at my kids, I see their desire for me to enjoy them – to delight in them. It’s then that I ask myself if my agenda is really that important, and if the floor is really too dirty.

Lord, you delight in your children. You quiet them with your love and rejoice over them with singing. Give me your perspective. Help me to enjoy the gift that my kids are.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

So true...a very good reminder for me. :)

Anonymous said...

great one Val, thanks for sharing! that is exactly how I feel,it's hard to slow down but so rewarding when we do!

-Beth