Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Holidays: A Gift for Jesus

I have been working on finding a way we can work in giving a gift to Jesus into our Christmas morning festivities. After our MOPS meeting yesterday, we've decided on an idea that I LOVE! I'll be wrapping a box with a removable lid that we will put out every year for Christmas. In this box we'll put our gift to Jesus. This year we are using the World Vision site http://donate.worldvision.org/OA_HTML/xxwv2ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10395 to be Jesus' hands and feet by donating a gift to someone in need. The kids are having a hard time deciding on one thing to give. This year, I'm not sure where we will find the money to do this, so I think one is all we'll do. In the years to come I hope that we will be able to give more than one gift. I'm going to print out a copy of whatever we decide on and put into our box. On Christmas morning we'll give it to Jesus, along with a prayer for the family or families that our item touches. We'll pray that God uses our gift to teach us about giving and to bless those who receive it.

In the future I see us giving Jesus other things, too...things that are more personal...maybe a gift of our time and service in a particular ministry for the year, a commitment to family devotional time, or a renewed desire to move deeper in our relationship with Him.

We'll keep our gifts in the box from year to year. I think it will be neat, down the road, to look back and see what things we've given and how God has used them.

No comments: