Monday, January 3, 2011

My Prayer for 2011

I'm not picking a word this year, but I do have a prayer for it...from a song that we sing at church every once in a while.  We had some great teaching on perspective yesterday and ended the service with it.

Lord, give me one pure and holy passion.  Give me one magnificent obsession.  Give me one glorious ambition for my life.  Lord, I want to know and follow hard after you.  I want to grow as your disciple in your Truth.  I know that this world is so empty, pale, and poor compared to knowing you, God.  Lead me, Lord, give me strength, Holy Spirit, and I will run after You.  (Adapted from "One Pure and Holy Passion" by Mark Altrogge)  

I want this prayer to influence my perspective on life.  It's not only for me, though, it's my prayer for my whole little family.  We made some changes and sacrifices in 2010 that rocked our boat a little bit, but I know we've got a ways to go before we get off our cruise ship and find our spot on the war vessel, as our pastor put it yesterday.

I want this prayer to shape the decisions we make this year about how we spend our time and money {one specific thing that has been on my heart lately in regards to this is what kind of "getaway" Mark and I will do for our 10 year anniversary in June}.  I want it to be the filter through which we decide what activities to say yes and no to.  I want it to be in the forefront of our mind as choose what books, movies, and TV shows to be entertained by.  I want it to be the thing that pushes us to invest in the relationships that are beginning to form with the families we deliver food to for the church food pantry.  I want it to be what gives me the desire to read through the Bible this year {using my new (thanks, Babe) chronological Bible}, not just so I can say I did it, but so I can know my God and my Jesus the way I desire to know them.  I want it to be what either reaffirms our schooling choice or calls us to pull the kids out.  I want it to be what gives Mark and I the strength to consistently train our children in love and grace, instead of nagging and frustration.

I'm confident that God will work through this prayer in the coming months, but I know that, realistically, I will get in His way all too often. Here's to hoping I'll be at least one step ahead of where I am today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! My heart is with you girl.

The BLIZZARD BUNCH: said...

Your words inspire me!!! :)