Monday, September 27, 2010

Deep Thoughts...

My friend Mandy posted this question on her blog over the weekend:
Moms, I Need Your Opinion

Moms, are you more content when:

A) You know all you have to focus on is your kids & your home?

B) You have additional passion outside kids & home to focus on?

Why?


I was struck by the fact that I didn't have an immediate answer. It took me a while to think through where I am at on this spectrum. Here is what I posted in response on Mandy's blog:

...I’ve determined that I am really most content when I’m doing A, although sometimes I’m called to B. I am most passionate about knowing and serving Christ, and there are times when He calls me to focus outside of my family/home in service to Him. There are seasons when He gives me rest, though, and allows my focus to go back to home/family. I feel like my other “passions” (running, teaching, etc) can easily be set aside with very little impact on the contentedness of my soul.

If you're a mom, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think it's possible to be only A or only B? Is it a spectrum? Are there seasons for each? Post your thoughts!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I read this a few times before coming up with my answer. And I honestly think I can say option A. Reason being that I actually enjoy my housework, my cooking, I don't even mind changing diapers. Option B comes in seasons and when I need it. But it's not something that *has* to happen in order for me to function as a good mom/wife. I'm truly content where I am and that is only testimony to God leading me where I should be and being kind enough to bless me with some maturity (I hope) gleaned from my experiences.

-Beth said...

I LIKE to be content w/ just "A" but if I'm comfortable, I also feel like I might not be growing, challenging myself and or reaching out to others enough which causes a healthy "discontent". While I feel safer w/ "A" I feel I've done most of my growing when I accept a bit of "B" in my life which has in return given me a new sense of what "content" should feel like. In the last few years I tend to feel like I'm missing out on something for me and my family if I'm "too content". It's a healthy balance though that comes in seasons. Sometimes "A" needs more attention.. sometimes "B" teaches me how to handle "A" better. Thanks for the thoughts Valerie.

Passions outside the home for me might be growing myself through a course or Bible study, teaching a class, helping others or refreshing myself with a favorite sport or activity. (you really got my wheels turning w/ that one… I hope I made sense! it's kinda hard to spit out)-Beth Hostettler