Friday, May 14, 2010

More Revival thoughts

I wanted to share a couple more things about our Revival Summit...

I bought a set of CD's if you're interested in borrowing them. Or you can listen to the teaching from the week at Berean's website.

A great ministry that you can access online is Revive Our Hearts. I am currently doing their "True Woman Makeover", which has had some great teaching on the Proverbs 31 woman and is now moving onto to modesty and purity. I am also doing the 30 Day Husband Encouragement Challenge. Lots of good stuff to sift through on this site.

The whole week and a half was draining and refreshing at the same time. It's something hard to describe. The testimonies that came out of it were amazing. The Holy Spirit definitely moved. Which brings me to some thoughts on what the Summit did for me. I have been a Christian my whole life...prayed the prayer of salvation at the age of 4 and was baptized in 4th grade. This video from Francis Chan pretty much sums up how I feel like I've lived the much of my Christian walk:
Well, I'm determined to get off the "middle road". I feel like God spent the week calling me to let go of the complacency and fear of looking a little "crazy" and just tap into the power that the Holy Spirit offers. I want to be a believer that hears God's voice and obeys...whether it be spontaneously praying for a friend, neighbor, or complete stranger or paying for a random person's groceries, or sacrificing time and resources to serve wherever there might be need.
I don't feel like I know the Holy Spirit and what He makes possible for the true believer. It's like any good person could do the things I do. There isn't much that sets me apart as holy. Ever since I read Crazy Love, and read the excerpt from Forgotten God at the end of it, I knew that it is my relationship with the Spirit that is lacking and I needed to find out what being a Spirit-filled Christian should really look like. I know I was given the gift of the Holy Spirit when I prayed that prayer 25 years ago. And I know there have been times where His guidance has kept me from disobedience and moral destruction. But, I also am realizing that He has so much more to offer me if I know Him and His power in a real way. I want people to notice that "I've been with Jesus", to quote our pastor as he referred to Acts 4 this morning. So, I'm burning my ships (look up the story of Hernando Cortez to understand that analogy), reading Forgotten God and Acts, and training myself to conciously tap into that power. It feels good to see the Fruit growing as a result. I expect more changes in the days to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been learning some of these same lessons too about being empowered by the Holy Spirit and living my life accordingly. I feel like it has taken me 30 years to begin processing this properly! Thanks for posting Val!

Valerie Hunter said...

Thanks for the comment, Lisa. Glad I'm not the only person who has grown up in the church to feel like I've been selling God short. It's a bit scary sometimes to take this step, though...God is definitely taking me out of my comfort zones.