Thursday, April 22, 2010

God in the Little Big Things

I've been reading through Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian again this past week. Lately, we've dealt with a major "bullying" issue, some serious discontent and whining, huge amounts of bickering, and some instances of downright meanness between our kiddos. While I know much of this is just part of the territory of having kids, I've felt a stirring to take it as a call to really step up my specific prayers for each of our children. I LOVE the tool that this book is for me in forming lists of things to pray for and learning Scripture to claim in the battle for our childrens' lives and hearts.

All too often, I underestimate the power of God to really answer all the little prayers I send up as I go through my day...either I feel like He's got better things to do than pass me some extra patience for the 800th time, or I get too distracted to see that He has actually given me what I asked for. I'm still working on praying expectantly and sincerely for what I see as little things and learning that when it comes to our children's attitudes, behaviors, and hearts, there is nothing little about it...not in this world that is seeking to destroy them.

Anyway, I wanted to share an example of God taking care of a little big thing this morning, mostly as a reminder to myself to expect Him.

{Just to give a little background, we now have a 2 year old in the house for the fourth time in our lives...and it's really not any easier the more times you do it. Levi has recently formed a strong opinion about wearing clothing with balls on it...like if it doesn't have a ball on it he's not wearing it and once he gets it on he's not taking it off kind of deal. He fell asleep last night on the way home from church and therefore slept in his clothes, so I felt it somewhat important to change him this morning since he had sat in a puddle of bubbles, hiked the nature center, dribbled milk, and done who knows what else in those clothes the day before. He, of course, did not think taking off the ball sweatshirt was a good idea and proceeded throw a fit and fight me tooth and nail about getting dressed. In an effort to reach a compromise (typically not a good idea when working with a 2 year old), I took him up to his room (where Natalie was still sleeping) to see if we could find something he was willing to put on. He continued to fight and, sure enough, he disturbed Natalie, who, of course, flipped out because I couldn't stay up there while she fully woke up because while all of this was going on I was still trying to get Ethan and Karis ready for school and out the door for the bus.}*

I've been trying to get myself in the habit each morning of asking Jesus to just wash over our home and help us fight the battle against Satan as we go through our day. Although I had had my quiet time this morning, I hadn't prayed that prayer and, in that moment, knew I needed to because I was ready to lose it. I left both kids screaming and prayed it as I walked out of the room and down the stairs to help Ethan and Karis. As I got breakfast, juice, lunches, etc. ready, Ethan went up the stairs in an effort to calm Natalie down. Levi had made his way down the stairs, half dressed and still crying, and Karis purposefully caught his attention with a few small toys. I didn't ask them to do this (as I have on some occasions), but it was almost like they knew it would take that big brother/big sister love to change a situation that could have unfolded much differently. I never expected that God would use them to answer my prayer, but I know He did. And maybe the most amazing part of it was that when I realized what He had done, with tears in my eyes, I thanked Ethan and Karis for their help and told them that God had used them to answer my prayer. If you could have seen the smiles that crossed their faces...

I'm still crying as I thank God for evidence of Himself this morning.


* I know if you're a mom of more than one child, you can totally relate to this and, quite possibly, lived the same thing this very morning. If you're not a mom...kids are great...really! You should have lots of them.

4 comments:

-Beth said...

what a cool story Valerie!! Great to see God answering the smaller and "insignificant feeling" parts of your day. I too, feel God is sometimes too busy for those. I especially like how you told them. Awesome! :)

The BLIZZARD BUNCH: said...

I love your stories...I feel so inspired by you and your blog!! Thanks for sharing! :)Lisa

Debbie said...

THAT is a real blessing to me. This is exactly what I'm dealing with this morning with my girls. What a great God we have... How awesome is He to use "the little things" to bless our lives...

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing this story, and for giving some personal wisdom for us to glean from. I love hearing what God is teaching you.